Scope and Contents note
1. Biographical: The series is mostly comprised of curriculum vitae, artist statements, writings, memberships and materials related to her continued education while employed at the Smithsonian American Art Museum Renwick Gallery. Box 2 consists of sketches and photographs.
2. Memberships: The series contains materials from several of the organizations Edith T. Martin was a member of from circa 1970s thru 2004.
3. Correspondence: Arranged chronologically by year consisting primarily of correspondence from 1997-2004, either generated by Edith T. Martin or addressed to her relating to exhibitions, memberships, as well as organizations, which promoted the visual arts.
4. Exhibitions: The series consists of art exhibitions and related materials, which Edith T. Martin either participated in and/or organized over the span of her career to include: Association for the Study of American Life and History, National Conference of Artists, District of Columbia Art Association, as well as the Anacostia Neighborhood Museum.
5. Printed Material: Arranged chronologically by year and material type. The series consists primarily of newspapers, newsletters, bulletins, magazines, articles, clippings, as well as miscellaneous materials collected throughout her career in the visual arts.
6. Artist Files: Folders are arranged in alphabetical order from A thru Y consisting primarily of resumes, biographies, and artist statements. Folders include correspondence related to exhibitions, slides and photographs of art.